DIamond care 101
Whether its diamond studs, engagement ring, wedding bands or even a bracelet. Caring for your jewelry will help it last for a lifetime. I will tell you some amazing tips and tricks to help your diamonds shine bright.
BEFORE IT’S YOURS:
- Make sure you know what you are buying, and who you are buying it from. Every jeweler should have a diamond tester, ask them to please use it! Going to a family owned will usually have quality over quantity. The big box stores aren’t your only place to go!
- Spending over $1,000? Get an appraisal! If it gets lost or stolen, having the piece covered under your insurance is key to replacing it. Depending on your homeowners insurance ever $1,000 will usually cost you about $15 yearly (worth it)!
NOW THAT IT’S YOURS:
- One word…upkeep. Jewelry in a sense is similar to vehicles. Just like tires on a street, the gold on your ring (or any other piece) will eventually wear away from the friction. Having your piece checked and cleaned every 6 months by your jeweler is a personal guarantee that everything is in working order!
- With getting your piece cleaned, of course it will be shiny and sparkly but, that is only half of the battle. Now worrying about every day wear-and-tear how do you keep it this sparkly?! Your nearest jeweler should sell cleaning solution (we sell it for 3 dollars a jar). If it does not come with a brush, getting a small tooth brush should do the trick. Very gently brush the stones from underneath (that is where all the lotion, soap and what ever else gets stuck). Going back to getting it checked and cleaning, as long as you have it inspected you should have no problems with any stones falling out.
- EXTRA TIP: Going out on the town, on a date, or special event? Spray some Windex on it to shine it up! (I promise it works wonderfully if you don’t have proper jeweler solution). Windex can also help you get a ring off if it is stuck!